Named by God
Answers to your Scripture questions
Other than Jesus, who in the Bible was given a name by God?
—J. MacMichael Jr., via e-mail
God named a number of people.
- Jacob’s name was changed to Israel (Genesis 35.9-11).
- Sarai’s name (Abraham’s wife) was changed to Sarah (Genesis 17.15, 16).
- Abram’s name was changed to Abraham (Genesis 17.4-6).
- God named Isaiah’s son Maher-shalal-hash-baz (Isaiah 8.1-3).
- God named the children of Gomer (Hosea 1.3-9).
- Zechariah’s son John was named by God (This is John the Baptist.) (Luke 1.11-14).
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to stay in touch with how God is changing lives with his Word!